7 Quick Takes-Momming



1. I'm making an effort to get back into blogging on the regular. Blogging keeps me sane during the week, when Will is gone and every other minute I hear "mama mama mama mama mama!" from one of the two members of my brood. Blogging is also very helpful when it comes to ignoring things that need to be done around the house, such as laundry, mopping, scrubbing bathrooms, what have you.

2. For the first time ever, we live relatively close to a Trader Joe's. I've heard a LOT about TJ over the years, and one of the selling points was (seriously), "It's kind of a poor man's Whole Foods." Hey, fine by me. By the time payday Wednesday rolled around, our refrigerator and pantry and reached Code Red status, and I decided it was time to go grocery shopping. Since I decided to half &$% it this week in terms of meal planning, I was able to find everything I needed (yogurt! fruit! tuna fish! jam and natural peanut butter! whole wheat bread! spinach and ricotta frozen pizza! organic string cheese!) at TJ's. Bonus points for the store? Despite my children acting like asylum escapees, no one batted an eye or gave me "the look." Rather, the employees were very pleasant and helpful. Can I get a HOLLA???!!!

Yes, I know. I have a first class ticket on the next train to Hell.

3. Speaking of TJ's, our grocery bill came to...$65. I'm still in shock.

4. Will unintentionally got me hooked on The Walking Dead. I say "unintentionally" because Will stopped watching the show after season two. Honestly, zombies really bore me, and this normally wouldn't be the kind of show I would enjoy. Buuuuut the plot has kind of drawn me in, and I've found myself really looking forward to nap and bed time so I can enjoy some zombie slaying without fear that my 2-year old will accidentally view a decapitation.

5. Speaking of The Walking Dead, Alessandra re-joined the Occupy the Crib movement the other night. I have no idea what got into her, but that little stinker woke up crying every hour and a half. No amount of soothing would settle her, and by the time 6am rolled around...let's just say it wasn't pretty. I sent Will a text and told him if I was gone when he returned from the field, he shouldn't worry. My absence could easily be explained by AMC, who saw a picture of me in my sleep-deprived state and immediately wanted to cast me as a walker.

6. Almost all of the Easter candy is gone, save for a few lone jellybeans. It makes me sad.

7. I've decided that living in Colorado will be most excellent in terms of making me feel all crunchy/attachment/organic mama-ish. Driving on the highway, it's not uncommon to see "Peace, Love, Babywearing" bumper stickers on the back of a minivan. There's a Natural Parenting Expo in Denver this weekend. Breastfeeding support groups, babywearing groups, and cloth diaper exchanges can easily be found in any major city. Midwives and doulas are plentiful, and unlike other states I've lived in, nursing in public is not only tolerated, but encouraged (at any rate, that's what I've observed so far). Yep...I'm going to do just fine here.

For more Quick Takes, visit Kelly at This Ain't the Lyceum.

Comments

  1. I have been blogging on an off for 12 years. Never give up! Never surrender!

    I live in Austin, birthplace of Whole Foods, so TJ's has struggled to gain ground here. We have one now, though, and it seems to be doing okay.

    ...What does encouraging nursing in public look like? How is that not absolutely *more* awkward than nursing can *potentially* be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lindsay! Thanks for commenting. I love Austin; my sister in-law and her family live there, and we've been able to visit them a few times.

      By "encouraging," what I really mean is "nursing mothers aren't made to feel uncomfortable." We've lived in four states since my son was born in 2011, and Colorado definitely appears to be more friendly towards breastfeeding mothers. I've never heard of nursing mothers being kicked out of public places, and the women I've spoken to on Colorado parenting/birthing groups online don't receive rude comments or nasty looks when they're breastfeeding their babies.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts