A Dang (Greek) Quesadilla

So, am I the only one who thinks of this scene from Napoleon Dynamite when I hear someone say, "quesadilla?"
Sorry for the weirdness of this video. It's the only one I could find.

Anyway. When my brother was visiting last week, I wanted to try out a new recipe and I decided he would be my perfect guinea pig. I found this recipe on Pinterest (where else?) and I thought it looked healthy and tasty, and it met my requirements for a quick and easy weeknight dish. I modified a few things, however.

1. I could have bought boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked them and shredded them myself, but I cheated and bought a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. Because ain't nobody got time for that.

2. I rarely (if ever) buy salad dressing, and after searching two grocery stores for the Lighthouse Opa Greek feta dill dressing to no avail, I threw in the towel and purchased a Tzatziki sauce. Probably not as low-cal as the former, but whatevs. 

3. I did not use an entire red onion. That would have been WAY too much, in my super duper professional opinion. 

Anyway! You will need the following:
assorted veggies and cheeses

Okay, I needed this. It was a long day.
 1. Slice the veggies and set to the side.
2. Spray the tortilla (one side only) with nonstick spray, and place on a pan over medium-high heat.
3. Spread the sauce/dressing over the tortilla, and add the veggies. Be careful not to overload the tortilla. As you can see, I totally failed at this.
4. After a few minutes, lift up the (unloaded) side of the tortilla. If it's browned, go ahead and cover the side with the veggies with the tortilla. Cook for a few more minutes, then carefully flip it over. Again, something I'm terrible at. If you're more skilled than I am, you likely won't have veggies and cheese falling out of your quesadilla all over the pan, and you likely won't be cursing.

5. When the quesadilla has been appropriately browned, slide it on to a plate or cutting board and slice it in half. Trust me, it tastes much better than it looks.
(Sorry. I forgot to snap a picture before snarfing down my dinner).
Happy eating! Original recipe here.

Ingredients:

4 — 9" La Tortilla Factory® Smart & Delicious™ Low-Carb, High Fiber Whole Wheat Tortillas
2 cups fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, shredded (about 1½ cups)
½ cup reduced-fat feta cheese crumbles
1 cup low moisture, part-skim, shredded mozzarella cheese
1 red onion, diced
1 cup cucumber, chopped
½ cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
¼ cup sliced black olives
¼ cup fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
½ cup Lighthouse® OPA Greek yogurt Feta Dill dressing

Comments

Popular Posts