Mexican Chicken Casserole

During the month of December, I've decided to embark on a "12 Days of Treats" baking adventure (oh yeah, and giving birth! That will probably happen this month, too!). Therefore, while I'm still on the lookout for new meals to try, I either stick to tried and true recipes, or I just look for something that's incredibly easy and won't distract me from my cookie, candy, and cake baking time. I found this recipe on Cooking Light, and I'm pleased to report it met my quick, easy, and tasty requirements. Shredding the cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts was a bit of a pain (next time I think I'll just buy a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store; so much easier and they're so delicious!), but other than that I was very comfortable with the preparation time and the end result.
Source: Cooking Light, December 1998

Ingredients:
  • 1  cup  fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 2  (4.5-ounce) cans chopped green chiles, divided
  • 1 3/4  pounds  skinned, boned chicken breasts
  • 2  teaspoons  olive oil
  • 1  cup  chopped onion
  • 1  cup  evaporated skim milk
  • 1  cup  (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1/4  cup  (2 ounces) tub-style light cream cheese
  • 1  (10-ounce) can enchilada sauce
  • 12  (6-inch) corn tortillas
  • Cooking spray
  • 1/2  cup  (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1  ounce  tortilla chips, crushed (about 6 chips)
Directions:

1. Combine broth and 1 can of chiles in a large skillet; bring to a boil.
2. Add chicken; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until chicken is done, turning chicken once.

3. Remove chicken from cooking liquid, reserving cooking liquid; cool chicken.
4. Shred meat with two forks, and set aside. Preheat oven to 350°.
5. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 can of chiles and onion; sauté 3 minutes or until soft.
6. Add reserved cooking liquid, milk, Monterey Jack, cream cheese, and enchilada sauce; stir well.
7. Stir in shredded chicken; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
8. Place 4 tortillas in the bottom of a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray.
9. Spoon 2 cups chicken mixture over tortillas. Repeat layers twice, ending with chicken mixture.
10. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and chips.
11. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Comments

Popular Posts